Friday, October 21, 2005

I'm in a BAND!

Wednesday night... raining and cold. I have had swollen glands and sore tonsils since Saturday, but a few panadol and I was right. I had to bite the bullet and finally do it!

So it was the moment I'd been planning for the past couple of months, and it's one more item on my list of resolutions that I have finally achieved.... I joined the Dubbo & District Brass Band.

Well I got to the band hall in south Dubbo and met Ben Newby outside. We went inside and he introduced me to a lot of the members, but I only remember a few names... I think it was Nigel on Flugel, Jenny and Chappo (Anthony Chapman - local policeman) on trombones. I was quickly overwhelmed by all the names so that's why I've forgotten most of em.

So we started warm ups with easy hymns and that was really fun cos I had no troubles with those. It got a lot harder though and out of all the pieces we practiced that night, I only played about half of them. The piece we ended on was Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, and I didn't even bother trying to play that one... it was way to fast and tricky. Even the experienced bandmembers were greatly challenged by it!

Well I payed my $2 membership, so I think next week I probably get a cornet, and later when I'm good enough to play at events, I'll get a uniform.

Meanwhile, throwing myself in the deepend like this is just what I need to give my playing skills a kick-along. I definitely need to practice my sight-reading EVERY day in order to get up to speed fast. The skills I learn at band, I'll be keen to apply back at church.

No comments: