Sunday, January 23, 2005

Relaxing Sunday

Sunday is Music day...
Today was quite a scorcher, so it was nice to spend it indoors mostly. I daresay it was 40 deg or higher, with a high percentage of humidity. That, coupled with my amazing meteorological instincts, was enough to help me predict some afternoon storms. We got em! Lovely... You gotta love a good thunderstorm after a long hot day, especially if it lasts a while and cools down the breeze.

I spent the afternoon (after church) playing my cornet. Once my lips got all blown out, I set up my Yamaha piano keyboard through my computer midi, and loaded up Voyetra Teach Me Piano Deluxe. This piece of software rocks, I highly recommend it when learning to play the piano.

So I did the first four chapters of lesson 2 in the beginner section (it took about 2 hours). I love how at the end of a section you practice a song, then you get to play along with the band (even though they're just a bunch of midi instruments accompanying you).

After all that, I can play the melody to a few tunes on my right hand, keeping in the scale of C. Nothing brilliant, but each lesson involves a lot of reinforcement, so you're sure to remember what you just learnt, providing you don't leave it a month til your next practice.

I hope I can find some extra time to do it regularly, same with my cornet practice. My lips have been a bit unfit of late, following this christmas break. I need to strenghten my embochure again.

Music class goes back on February 4, 2005.




NEW YEAR'S RESOLUTION reminder...
While I'm on the subject, I should formalise my NY Resolutions, since I haven't written them down elsewhere.



    PERSONAL:
  • Continue my serious approach to cornet, practicing at least twice weekly. My goal is to hit high A (off the staff) with ease by the end of the year. Probably an easy goal, but I do wanna keep it realistic.



    SPIRITUAL:
  • Start a home group to encourage my young friends to test the Bible for accuracy and truth, and ultimately prove to themselves that this IS the WORD of God. People I'll be encouraging to attend are Bruce and Sarah Furness, Brad and Amy Foggon, Matt and Kacey, Craig and Sarah Radburn... probably others, but I don't wanna overcrowd it either. Just want to keep it at a nice cosy group for informal discussion. There's a LOT of very exciting historical and archaelogical information that I think they's guys would enjoy hearing and seeing.


  • Combat my own personal infirmities that are limiting my spiritual potential.


  • Have a small band that is ready by December to do some Christmas tunes at the Nursing Home and in the church meeting.



    HOME-LIFE:
  • Finish the renovations to the extent that the house is ready to go on the market. Get the garden looking decent and finish the kids' cubby house up the back.



    PHYSICAL:
  • Stay fit, but keep an eye on this bad knee. If Indoor Cricket is causing too much pain, give it a rest and perhaps use the opportunity to get this Table Tennis club happening for real (not a priority though).




It seems weird that I haven't put anything in here about my family. Well I guess New Year's Resolutions are designed for identifying areas in life that need improvement. I'd be kidding myself to say I'm a perfect dad and husband, but I'm actually quite comfortable with the way things are going at home.

Also, the more I focus on the above things (specifically the spiritual and home-life ones), the more I feel they'll indirectly improve my relationship with my loved ones.

No comments: